Tuesday, November 20, 2007

OMG!!!!! The day has finally come!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone who has ever ever ever read this blog, (since, oh, August or so) needs to sit down. Right now. Oh, wait, you're at the computer, so probably sitting... just making sure. Are you ready. Are you sure? Ok, here's a picture for you. See this?

This is a picture of my addi turbo lace needle. Why is this a big deal? Well, I bought this needle about 3 or so (is that all????) months ago. Since the day I bought it, it has been occupied. What has it been in? This.

This is my love, the most beautiful thing I've ever made with my own two hands. This, my friends, is my finished Icarus.

*squeal* Ok, when I bound off the last stitch, I may have hyperventilated. Only because I stopped breathing for a few minutes. I've never been so proud of anything in my life (except maybe, maybe, the raising from birth of my puppy... seriously. Anyway...), especially since I didn't use LIFELINES!!! So I feel like I can announce it to the world now! It's so beautiful.

And so BIG! It is officially... not the right dimensions. It was supposed to be 72'' and it's supposed to be half of that down the middle. Mine is 39'' down the middle... and 88'' across. EIGHTY-EIGHT INCHES ACROSS THE NECK!!! That can't be right. *remeasures* No, it's right. Holy... That's like... 7 and a third feet! That's insane. Angie was right, I DEFINITELY should've taken out a pattern repeat. Especially considering the whopping 520 stitches I just bound off... Here it is soaking.... and yeah, the dye bled a little, but that's ok, it's GORGEOUS!


Want the stats? Ok, it's Miriam Felton's Icarus Shawl, which I purchased from mimknits.
I made it with the suggested yarn, Jaegerspun Zephyr, in the color Claret, bought from Sarah's Yarns which is an incredible store, and I got the yarn at a really decent price, I'm happy about that as I'm on a budget... good yarn at a good price? Sweet!

It's not blocking as perfectly as I had hoped, as I didn't have the money to buy blocking wires until, well, today, and I wanted to wear it to Thanksgiving, just to show it off, so I didn't have time to wait for them to be shipped.

It took me nearly an hour to pin it out. But I'm happy with the results, even if the top edge is a little scalloped... it's ok. I'm not going to claim by any means that it's perfect according to pattern...

But I'm going to say that, to me, it's the most perfect, beautiful thing, EVER! I love it!

Please, feel free to comment and tell me how beautiful it is! I can't hear it enough, I assure you. Yay!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Knitterific Knitter said...

It's gorgeous! I'm going to attempt it myself, though I will definantly use lifelines since I can't do 5 rows of garter without messing up somehow... I really love how yours turned out though!

(Found through Rav when looking up blogs written about Icarus!)

Tammy said...

krystal you shawl is awe-some. I would like to get the pattern,please.
tbbrown12369

Krystal said...

Thanks Tammy! You can find the pattern at the link listed in my blog, or google the pattern Icarus, or if you're on ravelry, you can search for it. :)