Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Late Thanksgiving

I wanted to write a post talking about how thankful I am for everything, all the good stuff in my life... but instead, my late Thanksgiving post is going to be about other people. Here's the deal. Lately I've been extremely burdened with the thought of all the kids in Africa and other places. I just wish there was something I can do but... well you have to be able to help yourself before you can help others, ya know? So I feel completely helpless and sad all the time for them. I want, badly, to adopt a baby from Africa but... do you know how much it costs? It's so unfair that it would be more than adopting from the US, because there are so many homeless kids there now. I know that there are people in our country, kids in our country, that need help too, but there are countless charities for those kids, and there just isn't much for those kids in Africa. Also, in our country, there are homeless shelters and things like goodwill where kids and adults alike can get things if they can't afford to buy them, but in Africa, they're lucky if they can scrounge together enough clothes to protect them from the elements. They need help worse than the kids in our country, because there just isn't any out there for them.

So... if you read this blog, I want to start SOME kind of knitting related charity... maybe make up a hat or scarf pattern, and sell it and all procedes go to them? Or SOMETHING. So if anyone, and I know you're out there, LURKING, has ANY idea, even if you think it's stupid, please let me know, ok? PLEASE. I'm begging you, because these kids need help.

If you want to help, and want to do something, anything, go to itunes and buy the song "Great Divide" by Hanson, it's only a dollar and one dollar buys like, 6 days worth of medication for a mother and her child, to help stop the transfer of the aids virus. It's .17 cents a day for that. That's ALL. And all proceeds from the purchase of that song go to help those mothers and children. Or go to www.tomsshoes.com and buy a pair of shoes. For every pair of shoes that you buy, they donate a pair to a child in need. Go to www.hanson.net for more information.

So, what am I thankful for? Anyone who gives their time or their money to help someone who can't help themself. Thank you just for reading this, it means a lot. Remember, every cent counts.

3 comments:

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Krystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.